Important Forms and Policies

Psychology Department Course Override Policy

*The online override request form is currently closed. Please check back soon for updates regarding the override policy and process for Spring 2022. 

Transferring Courses for Credit

Students interested in transferring psychology courses for credit should review Transfer Credit Policies maintained by the Office of the Registrar. 

Student Research

We offer a variety of individualized learning experiences under the direction of a faculty member across your academic career.  Students are eligible for Research Experience in Psychology (PSYC 198), and junior and senior psychology majors may enroll in Teaching Mentorship (PSYC 404), Tutorial (PSYC 404), Independent Study (PSYC 498). We also offer yearlong intensive, empirical research projects in our Bachelor's Essay courses  (PSYC 448 and 499). Please see the most recent College Catalog for course descriptions, gradepoint requirements, and prerequisites. 

If you would like to enroll in one of these above courses please complete the following steps:

1. Speak with and identify a faculty member who agrees to work with you. You may find the descriptions of faculty research interests on our departmental webpage helpful. 

2.Once you have identified a faculty mentor and obtained their consent, your faculty mentor should work in consultation with you to establish learning goals and outcomes for the course and produce a detailed description and/or syllabus. A course schedule,  detailed description of course assignments and due dates,  grading policy, and the basis for determining a final course grade are necessary. (Additional syllabus guidelines may be found in Policy 7.6.10.

The respective course forms below provide a template for these details.

Please note these downloadable forms are in Microsoft Word format so that they may be edited for your specific project.  

3. Faculty mentors must obtain and complete an Application for Individual Enrollment form. This form requires signature of the mentor, student and associate chair/ department chair.

    • Faculty can locate the Application for Individual Enrollment form by logging into their My Charleston account, clicking the “Faculty” tab, and looking under the “Registrar/Graduate School Forms for Faculty” section. 

4. Faculty mentors can submit your completed course form, a signed copy of the Application for  Individual Enrollment form, and your Degree Audit, to the Associate Chair of the Psychology Department for approval

Change in Psychology Advisor

If you are already a Psychology major and would like to change your advisor, please contact our office via phone (843.953.5590). Please be sure to know your CWID and if you have any faculty member preference for your new advisor.

Forms from the Registrar's Office

The Forms page maintained by the Registrar's Office includes numerous forms that might be of interest to you (e.g., Course Withdrawal, Drop/AddOverload RequestCoursework Elsewhere). 


This information is subject to change. In case of any discrepancy between this information and the catalog, the catalog will take precedence.